This June 26 marks the 102nd anniversary of the cornerstone laying of North York’s first municipal building, located at the northeast corner of Yonge and Empress streets. It was an exciting, proud occasion because it was just a little over a year since North York had been incorporated as an independent community on June 13, 1922. Municipal officials originally had met in makeshift, cramped quarters.
The cornerstone proceedings began at 8 p.m. on June 26.. A silver-plated trowel was used. The Globe [it hadn’t merged yet with The Mail and Empire] wrote enthusiastically: “June 26 will be embossed in red letters in the annals of the community’s history as the day when the cornerstone of the new edifice was ‘well and truly laid.’”
Reeve Robert F. Hicks said: “I feel that there is the nucleus of a city here but it will be called by another name than Toronto.”
Commemorative items were placed in the cornerstone to mark the occasion: June 25 Evening Telegram and Daily Star; June 26 Globe and Mail and Empire; June 22 North Yonge Advertiser; a copy of the petition to the Ontario Government to permit incorporation and of the enabling act; a brief account of the area’s history; the council’s minutes pertaining to the decision to construct the building,; the blueprints; an area map; and tax and assessment information.
The ceremony ended with the national anthem, then “God Save The King.” The two-story building was completed in just six months, with the official opening on December 19, 1923 by Ontario Lieutenant-Governor Harry Cockshutt introduced by North York resident George S. Henry, Ontario Minister of Public Works. North York’s population then was 6,300. Over the years it grew exponentially, requiring more officials and departments. In 1956 when the population was 165,440 the municipal government moved into bigger quarters. The original building housed various civic uses before being partially demolished in 1989. The façade of the original building was saved, incorporated into the east entrance of the Empress Walk mall and condominium building.
The current civic centre opened in 1979. The population was 570,000.
