Guild Park and Gardens was visited by an enthusiastic group of members of the NYHS on Sunday, June 10, 2018 for the members-only outing.
Select any image to open photo gallery
Guild Park’s history includes being the site of the innovative Guild of All Arts, an artists’ community founded in 1932 by noted philanthropists Rosa and Spencer Clark. The couple later converted their home into the renowned Guild Inn, a destination for artists, royalty and tourists, located on the Scarborough Bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario.
In the 1960s, the Clarks began saving notable architectural features from heritage buildings – all demolished before protective laws existed. They later added outdoor sculptures to the grounds.
The Clarks sold the property in 1978. The park and its treasures are now being revitalized as public assets, featuring 88 acres of woods, waterfront and formal gardens, operated by the City of Toronto Conservation Authority.
The park treasures include many art pieces that will not last forever in their current outdoor settings. The leader of the walk pointed out the damage being done to these wonderful sculptures by Loring and Wyle.
With thanks to the Friends of Guild Park, especially John P. Mason, President, who was our guide. Do check them out at https://facebook.com/GuildPark.
Originally published in the November 2018 – January 2019 North York Historical Society Newsletter