Here are some North York history books to explore. Most of these are available through Toronto Public Library.
Published by the North York Historical Society
- Rebellion in North York 1837, compiled by Penny Potter, 1987. Available at the Gibson House Museum Gift Shop.
- The Gibson House, edited by Una Abrahamson, 1977.
- Historic Sites in the Borough of North York, by the North York Historical Society, 1971.
- Pioneering in North York: A History of the Borough, by Patricia Hart, 1968, Toronto: General Pub. Co. Published for the North York Historical Society in co-operation with the Borough of North York. (Enjoy photos of Patricia Hart’s 1968 book signing at Gladys Allison Library, during an NYHS meeting.)
- Don Mills: From Forests and Farm to Forces of Change, by Scott Kennedy, Dundurn Press, Toronto, 2017. Also available as an ebook online through Toronto Public Library.
- Willowdale: Yesterday’s Farms, Today’s Legacy, by Scott Kennedy, Dundurn Press, Toronto, 2013. Also available as an ebook online through Toronto Public Library.
- North York’s Modernist Architecture Revisited: An Update to the Inventory of the 1997 City of North York Publication, presented by E.R.A. Architects, Toronto, 2010. Available as a free ebook online through E.R.A. Architects (link opens 61 page PDF).
- Blazing a Road to Grandeur: North York’s Yonge Street Communities, by Culture Branch, Parks & Recreation Department, City of North York, 1996.
- Retracing Our Steps: A Tour of a 19th Century Farming Community in the Heart of North York, by Brian Theimer, North York Historical Board, 1984.
- The Historical Outline of the Administration of the Borough of North York, by North York Public Administration Office, 1973.
- Heritage with Style: A Guide to the Architectural Styles of North York’s Heritage Houses, by the North York Historical Board, 1969. Only known copy is in the Ontario Historical Society’s reference library.